The time I went solo - (Part 2)






The huge sign board located next to the road read Munnar - fifteen kilometers ahead. I was so lost in looking outside the car window that I did not even realize I’ve been traveling for over five hours now. The climate there exhibited quite a difference than that of Mumbai. In Mumbai we have three seasons namely - Summer, Monsoon (which does not have an ETA these days) and some more Summer. Thus we Mumbaikars rejoice whenever we experience a slight fall in the temperature, below the one that makes us sweat. I asked Pradeesh to switch the AC off and lower one of the windows. As the window was being lowered, a sudden gush of air brushed against my half open-half tied hair and messed them up completely. My cheeks felt cold and I could feel my nose freezing up. The Ochi cyclone had hit the western coastline just a week before I was in Kerala. Therefore to make any predictions regarding the weather was utterly wasteful. The climate was PMSing and being a woman I completely understood it.


As I was staring outside the window with my eyes wide open, I blinked all of a sudden because my eyelids felt heavy. As I closed my eyes, there was a drop of water that rolled down my cheeks. I realized that there is something wrong. I know my tears do not seek my permission before finding their way out of my eyes but these weren’t my tears. Before I could investigate any further another drop of water hit me straight away in the forehead and then one again. That’s when I realized it’s the clouds messing around. They began to pour. If you would ever ask me my favorite fragrances; the smell of the wet soil after a freshly received shower would inevitably be the winner. In no time, the slightly mischievous child had turned notorious. It began raining heavily, so much so that I had to cut down my favorite fragrance from entering into my system and close the window.


The roads were taking hair pin turns and given the speed Pradeesh was driving at, it didn’t feel less than go-karting. I tried to remain as still as I could but that didn’t help my receptors much, as they continuously fired my nerves to pick up signals and were thus nudging my vomit centre until it finally gave up. I lost count of how many times I asked Pradeesh to pull over and emptied my gastric contents into the bushes by the road. I took out everything that my tummy could accommodate like the anguish of an angry girlfriend, nothing spared. 




As I sat inside the car counting the water droplets that were formed on the glass of my window Pradeesh stopped the car. I got out of the car to visit a beautiful waterfall that stood besides the road. As I stood there clicking pictures on my camera and soaking up the moment, a sudden thought struck me…Who’d click my picture? Everybody around me was busy clicking each others' photos whilst I watched them, photobombing their pictures. After gathering a fair amount of courage I asked a young boy to click my picture. Because interacting with children is anyway easier than adults for they do not judge you. At least that boy didn’t. I stood as if I were getting a picture clicked on gun point: still and expressionless like a cadet in a parade. He constantly kept clicking pictures and asking me to smile. However all I could do was change my stance a little and keep telling myself - at least smirk a little you grimaced woman! But that’s okay for I’ve got a good memory. “I’ll remember the moment” I said to myself.


Later in time, I reached my hotel. Left with a physically exhausted body and a minimally enthusiastic mind which isn’t a great combination when it comes to having fun, all I wanted to do is to hit the hay. The next day had a bunch of activities lined up.



How do you describe something that is so wonderful that you actually forget about the rest of the World and just want to stay in the moment forever. I am falling short of words to describe how amazing a place Munnar is! I may not have traveled the entire World but of all the places I have been to until now Munnar would occupy my mind for a really long time. It was verdant and delightful to watch wherever your eyes could take you. The tea gardens spread over several acres of land which were barely visible under the thick cover of fog were something I had seen only in Bollywood movies which I used to think looked so surreal because of vfx. The freezing cold air diluted with the smell of tea was exhilarating.



The dream land adventure park was next on the list. It comprises of over forty activities from zip lining to rope walking and camel rides and so much more. You name it and they have it. I spent over four hours doing stuff that I wouldn’t have dreamed about doing a few years ago given for my fairly acceptable fear of heights. A little adrenaline rush is after all needed to help you realize that you are still alive and healthy.


That evening I bought myself tickets to a Kalaripayathu show. It was at a close distance from my hotel and thus I decided to walk there by myself giving Pradeesh a break so that he could return home to his family. The climate was pleasant. It was around six in the evening, wearing layers of clothes to cover my extremely sensitive body I walked towards the studio. I wasn’t alone on the road. Along with me were a few other tourists walking with cameras in their hands. There were newly weds: walking with their hands entwined with each others, a few women with palms covered in intricate designs carved out of henna,with a reddish hue of sindoor demarcating a partition of hair, who may have just started a new chapter in their life. Their glittery eyes shedding light upon their love for each other. Their hands brushed against each others’ on purpose while they exchanged looks and smiles. 

And then there were a few elderly couples. May be in their late sixties. The wrinkles on their face and their grey hair elucidated the first innings of their life that they’ve played together. And are now in their second innings where they may have nothing else to lose but each other. Who, instead of waiting for death, have traveled in order to spend some more days in each others' presence. May be to try out a few things before life escapes them. It made me realize how important it is to live every moment to the fullest with the people you love…your partner, parents, friends, family, just anybody. Because it is only these memories that keep coming to us and make us smile while we lay down on the bed waiting for death to take us away with it. That is what I would always want in life. A functional body and a spirited mind so that I could travel wherever I wish to with the ones I love, making enough memories to cherish and reverberate upon.


The Kalaripayathu show was worth every penny spent. It was amazing to see how such an ancient art form is still treated with so much respect. This is what Kerala is all about. It is undoubtedly walking on the way towards development but hasn’t forgotten its roots. It is really important to make progress without giving up on our values and traditions. And Kerala is a perfect example of it. It knows its traditions to the core and believes in strengthening and preserving its culture. The foreign tourists present in the studio had their eyes popping out while they saw the local artists perform. That is what I liked the most about Kerala. It has given the world not only some exceptional techies but also some incredible artists.


I returned to the hotel happy as a clam.
After spending two days in Munnar I was now going to head over towards Allapuhza the next morning. The next blog which would be the last one in this series would read about my stay in Allapuzha and sum up my travel in Kerala.

Until then,

Keep reading.

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.